7 Quick Takes on the Decline of Western Civilization
Hell of a week, y’all. Can’t say I’ve been particularly proud to be an American while reading/covering the news from home this week. Are you sick of seeing this on Facebook/Twitter/blogs yet? Well me too. But the truth must be revealed, even (and perhaps especially) when it’s ugly. Because the only way to defeat evil, ultimately, is to expose it to the Light.
Is the news morbid, depressing, and defeating at times? Hell yes it is. But you know what? You might assume that everyone is already aware of this or that depressing/horrifying/shocking/infuriating situation, but you’d be wrong. The reason things like Kermit Gosnell murdering hundreds of breathing, born human babies and getting paid for it in a licensed ‘medical’ facility continue to happen is because people aren’t aware, or if they are, their consciences aren’t sufficiently formed to feel horror at the scope of evil we’re dealing with.
And that’s where we come in. To bring the message of the Gospel, yes. But also to denounce the anti-Gospel. To stand up in a crowded room and identify something evil as exactly that: evil.
Does that word make you uncomfortable? It should. It is the antithesis of what it means to be fully human, an impoverishment of our God-given nature. And it’s real. And it’s destroying souls and families and nations today, just as it has for a thousand generations beforehand. But lately, it seems, we’ve become deaf and dumb to its existence. And suddenly every kind of depravity and attack on the dignity of the human person is re-branded and repackaged as a ‘lifestyle choice’, a ‘deeply personal decision,’ or the laudable evidence of ‘diversity.’
Lies. Calling something evil ‘good’ does not alter reality. And committing murder of human beings using surgical instruments doesn’t make it medicine.
So hold on to your butts, readers, because we’re going to pull back the curtain and look evil in the eye. And we’re going to spit in its face and expose it for the rest of the world to see.
1. The Gosnell Trial. Horrifying, mind-numbing, and completely over-saturated by media coverage, at least on my newsfeed. But I inhibit a particular little corner of the internet where I see a lot of coverage of all things bioethics-related. So I trust that there are still plenty of people out there who don’t know about the man who systematically murdered hundreds of unborn and born children at his filthy ‘medical’ facility over a period of decades, employing the assistance of unskilled and untrained staff members and disposing of the bodies (or keeping revolting trophies, as some serial killers are wont to do) in the most inhumane and gruesome manner. Vom now or vom later, the choice is yours.
2. Live Action President Lila Rose’s latest undercover video investigations, ‘#Inhuman’. She is a boss. She is in her early 20’s. And she is braver and more intimidating and effective than any single politician or investigative reporter on the planet. Live Action has dropped 3 shocking videos this week. None of them are shocking for what you’ll see. There are no gruesome pictures. All of them, however, are shocking for what you’ll hear:
3. The first details the willingness of late-term abortion facilities to murder accidentally-born babies should the procedure fail,
4. The second provides evidence that abortion ‘doctors’ routinely break federal law in order to deny medical aid or resuscitation to failed abortion victims,
5. The third includes a step-by-step description of how a baby is dismembered inside the uterus (or sometimes outside, after birth) and how the remains are sent out to funeral homes (even though they’re not human?) It also has some chilling footage from a Senate hearing in Florida of Planned Parenthood’s view of the human person, and of their own perception of their role in the abortion business.
6. Fox News’ correspondent on the O’Reilly factor didn’t seem to share my opinion of her. Though she didn’t seem able to form a coherent sentence, either. And had some weird facial tics going on, so I don’t know, maybe she was on something.
7. The FDA’s (and the President of the United States) endorsement of statutory rape. The Morning After abortion pill is now available OTC to children as young as 15. Who are, according to federal law and common decency, protected from sexual exploitation by statutory rape laws in every state in our nation. But just in case you get one of them pregnant, no worries, you can easily send her down to Walmart or CVS for a powerful dose of the dangerous and potent drug Levonorgestrel and bam, problem solved.
I find it deeply ironic and more than a little disturbing that the President is himself father to two teenage daughters. But remember, this is the same man who doesn’t want them ‘punished with a baby.’ Best make the Morning After pill available to teens then, to make certain the cycle of destructive behavior and precocious sexuality our young people are enslaved to continues to spiral out of control. Hell, why not officially endorse it?
So there you have it. Depressing, disgusting, and oh-so-necessary to share until there is no filthy, darkened corner for this madness to hide in. Mother Teresa, who surely saw more filth and depravity in a day than the average human being could stomach in a lifetime, tells us we must ‘be the change we wish to see in the world.’ And so we must.
If you’re still reading, good on you, solider. Head over the Jen’s to have some peace restored.
Truth is hard to swallow and I think that’s the main reason the “Lame stream media” (totally stole that from Lino Rulli) has had such spotty or hidden coverage of the whole #Gosnell trial. As Jack Nicholson would say, “You can’t handle the truth”. (A few good men)….sheesh I’m on a roll here, way tooooo early! Blessings, and I believe Mother Teresa’s quote will be our work quote for the day…our little Positivity project.
It’s hard to watch and hear. All of it. But if we don’t say it and send it, who will? The whole issue of the Gosnell trial not being covered by the mainstream media in any relevant capacity is just sickening.
I think the focus needs to be forming consciences to be horrified. Because that is what is not happening. I really REALLY don’t think knowledge is the problem here. And that is what is tough, because forming conscience puts the responsibility back on us, as Christians, to most effectively figure out how to get people to stop killing babies, start loving each other, start living in a way that we are called to. And, frankly, we are sucking at that.
I can’t even bring myself to watch the news or the videos linked here. I pray for the evil to stop, pray outside abortion clinics, and pray for hearts to be converted. I just get so sick to actually see anything and then I feel like a coward. I applaud all of the people who can get down and dirty with these issues and bring these horrors to light to inform the many people who don’t realize the gravity. But I just can’t watch them.
Fantastic quick takes! What is happening to America? I also love Lila Rose. Rock on girl.
This made me sick and hurts my heart in ways I can’t even express. I have shared these videos to my FB page and I pray it makes even a small difference. You are so right. There is very little American “pride” in me at this moment. I could not believe that nearly half of all pregnancies in New York end in abortion. How can that be? SICKENING! Thank you for this post.
“And suddenly every kind of depravity and attack on the dignity of the human person is re-branded and repackaged as a ‘lifestyle choice’, a ‘deeply personal decision,’ or the laudable evidence of ‘diversity.'”- so true, and spot on. Thanks for posting this, Jenny!
The news is so sad and depressing. And I do think you are right, sometimes we need to read it, we need to see it. At first, I was not going to read the info on the Gosnell trial, but after I did, it awoke something in me . . . a greater sense that we are in a battle, a battle with evil. And, sometimes we need to come face to face with the reality of that evil to better fight it and pray for it to end.
Thanks for this courageous post Jenny! And I wish it was true that the Gosnell trial was getting as much coverage as you are experiencing… unfortunately it’s not really being covered in mainstream media (except by Fox, of course)… BUT thanks to social media we CAN spread the message and AWAKEN people to the truth! We can’t hide or run away from the truth when it makes us uncomfortable! We must be courageous and awaken people to the EVIL that’s out there! Thanks for being a soldier in this battle to win back souls to Christ! I am linking arms with you siter!! LOVE YOU!
This is such a much needed post. My facebook feed is also saturated with news of the Gosnell trial, but I also have a lot of pro-life friends interested in bioethics. It is so true that evil needs to be exposed so it can be stamped out.
Sarah Sahm Williams
Woah. Thanks for this post. All the links are great tools to use to provide truth to what is going on. It’s one thing to read and hear about them, but to see them is something entirely different, although so hard to see. I’m about 5 weeks away from having this little (big) girl and it just hits so close to home.
Thank you for sharing this knowledge! We can always continue to pray for an end to this travesty!