Take a look:
1.Being homosexual is not contagious (heterosexuals can keep reproducing)
2. Same-sex marriages do not cause heterosexual marriages to end.
3. Our survival is not currently dependant on each individuals ability to reproduce
4. We no longer live in the "olden days", thousands-year old rules may no longer apply.
I'd like to address these axims one by one, beginning with the idea that pro-marriage defenders are resisting the idea of homosexual "marriage' based on their own homophobia. Bullsh*t. Here's why:
1. Homosexuality is essentially a learned behavior ... you might even call it intellectually or behaviorally "contagious" in a loose sense of the word. Homosexual tendencies themselves are of course not "catching," but it is widely recognized across cultures that values are transmitted generationally from parent to child.
So in fact, normalizing homosexuality during a child's latency period does increase the likelihood of (read: acceptance of and/or experimentation with) homosexual behavior. Why wouldn't a child want to be just like Mommy and Mommy or Daddy and Daddy?
2. Same-sex "marriages" are a threat to the stability of traditional marriage (and therefore the stability of the culture at large) precisely because they present a redefinement of the institution of marriage as "an arrangement of mutual convenience/pleasure/satisfaction" rather than the exclusive, permanent and unconditional bonding of two people for life. Two people who are so bonded, in fact, that the fruit of their communion of persons can literally come forth in the creation of an entirely new person.
3. If by survival you mean progeneration of offspring, then yes, you are correct, it is not necessary for every member of to reproduce in order to maintain the species. However, I don't hear anyone arguing against the normalization of gay "marriage" because they see homosexuality as a threat to the continuation of the human race. In all other cultures in the animal kingdom, however, do note that homosexual behavior is neither advantageous nor accepted within a species. As rational animals with self awareness and free will, humans can certainly choose to act in ways which are evolutionarily self-defeating... but I wouldn't brag about it to the rest of animalia...
4. A couple of thousand year old rules that still apply:
From the West -
- Though shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife
- Though shall not commit adultery
- Do unto others as you would have done to you
- Refrain From Killing
- Refrain from Stealing
- Refrain from Lying, Slandering, Gossiping and Spreading Rumours
- Refrain from Sexual Misconduct